uima-dev mailing list archives

From Tommaso Teofili <tommaso.teof...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AnnotationFS.getCoveredText returns null?
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:25:20 GMT
2012/2/27 Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de>

> On 24/02/12 18:15, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> > However I don't like to just let the IndexOutOfBoundException raise as
> that
> > may sound like a bug or unhandled situation while the API should
> explicitly
> > declare a dedicated exception for when the begin and end offset don't
> cover
> > a fully existing span of text.
> >
> > Tommaso
>
> That would be a non-backward compatible change on one of our
> oldest and most widely used APIs.

Yes I know and that's not so good but I think that, if we happen to agree
the current behavior could be improved, at some point in time (next major
version perhaps) we may choose to  break that in order to have a smarter
behavior.
So not in 2.4.x but maybe for 2.5+ or, better, 3.x versions that would be
(IMHO) a nice API improvement.
Tommaso