uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Contributing uimaFIT to Apache UIMA
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 03:26:16 GMT

On 5/31/2012 6:08 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 10:02 PM, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>> We (uimaFIT developers) would like a transition to Apache to cause minimal
>> hassle for existing users. If possible, it should be limited to updating the
>> imports for a new package name and changing a dependency/jar.
>
> Is it a must to change the package names? This will break it
> for the existing user base.

It seems not to be a requirement.  But there's some evidence in other projects
that didn't do this that it caused some problems down the road.

In the past, we built some auto-fixup tooling for this kind of conversion.  See
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/overview_and_setup.html#ugr.project_overview_migrating_from_ibm_uima

; it had tooling to do package renaming, IIRC.

Another thing which is likely required is to change the Maven "group-id" to
org.apache.uima - I think the auto-release tooling might have some dependencies
on this, given Maven's convention-over-configuration orientation.

-Marshall