uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eck...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Contributing uimaFIT to Apache UIMA
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:12:59 GMT
>> I think a contribution in form of an incubator projects makes most sense for projects
that later graduate to top level projects (like OpenNLP). Given the scope of uimaFIT, a direct
contribution seems more reasonably to me.

> I agree that the scope of uimaFIT implies a tight coupling to core UIMA, so it seems
less of a "subproject", and more of a core contribution.

>> I understand this is what has happened with the TextMarker project. It seems to me
that the direct way results is considerably less organizational overhead as well, e.g. no
need to set up a incubator project website and whatnot. There is some more overhead because
the protocol requires some time during which new contributors provide patches before being
given commit rights.

>> A direct contribution could lead to a loss of identity to the uimaFIT project. This
is partially something that is desired, because we want to reassure users that uimaFIT is
becoming a part of the UIMA family and that using it is not "violating the UIMA way". It would
be appreciated though if some part of the identity could be maintained, e.g. by placing the
module at the same level as UIMA-AS. This would also make sense, as we would like to maintain
an independent release cycle.

> We have designed the add-ons to be releasable either all together or (more likely going
forward) as individual released things, so that's where I would suggest hosting the original
uimaFIT.  Over time, of course, I hope the goal is for it to be properly integrated into the
core.

Fair enough.

So, how can we proceed? We uimaFIT folks started getting into initial contact with the respective
license persons at our institutions to resolve the software grant. These already mentioned
that they
require the institutions to be mentioned somewhere. We assume that original authors and institutions
will be mentioned in the NOTICES file. Individual source files will carry the default Apache
license header which refers to the NOTICES file and will not carry author tags.

To summarize briefly what else we have discussed so far:

- Two software grants will be prepared for the initial contribution because uimaFIT is the
  product of two institutions.

- uimaFIT will be contributed as a patch at the level of add-ons. The patch contains the
  full uimaFIT as-is with packages, groupID and artifactIDs renamed e.g. to
  "org.apache.uima.uimafit". This includes the submodules "uimaFIT", "uimaFIT Examples"
  and "uimaFIT Spring". Any other changes would be submitted as patches afterwards.

- after the initial submission, I will contribute patches to uimaFIT via Jira as I plan to
  continue maintaining uimaFIT. In order to continue contributing, I will need to submit a
  CLA and ICLA. Patches are submitted until a full committer status is approved. Others of
  the original uimaFIT developers may choose to follow the same route at a later time.

- uimaFIT will maintain its own release cycle.

There are some more details to resolve:

- What happens to the uimaFIT documentation currently in the Google Code wiki? It would be
  most convenient if that could be moved to the UIMA wiki. I would like to avoid having to
  migrate everything to DocBook.

- What happens to the open uimaFIT issues in the Google Code tracker? I would suggest to
  open them in the Apache Jira, copy the initial description and link to the original issue
  on google code, as they might have a longer discussion history.

Is there anything else that must be resolved or be made explicit that I did not mention?

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universit├Ąt Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de