uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: TextMarker maven build process update
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:23:40 GMT

On 7/4/2012 7:27 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>  On 03.07.2012 23:27, Marshall Schor wrote:
>> On 7/3/2012 8:39 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>>   Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't know. On the one side, this would of course solve our problems. On the
>>> other side, this approach does not scale well with the amount of plugins the
>>> TextMarker IDE depends on.
>> I'm thinking that if we went this way, you would take some level of Eclipse
>> release and post *all* of its parts (if that was allowed).   I thought that's
>> what the maven-eclipse-plugin -- to maven mojo did (but I haven't used it, so
>> that's just a guess...).  If that was the case, then no further updates would be
>> needed unless or until you decided to "depend" on some more recent Eclipse
>> plugin version / feature.
>>
>> So, I'm not understanding why it would not scale well...
>>

> I thought that you have to provide a bundle with eight files for each jar you
> want to add to the Maven Central (I interpreted Richard's link that way).
> Those also cover javadoc and sources. Gathering all that stuff manually for
> each dependency would be some work. "eclipse:to-maven" adds the artifacts to
> the local repository. Maybe I missed something or we are talking about
> something different.

OK - I haven't used eclipse:to-maven myself.  I thought it might gather all the
stuff needed automatically, and put it into the local repo, but could, just as
easily, deliver it to maven central.  But, I don't know...

> I think using "eclipse:to-maven" works well enough for now. If a user wants to
> build the TextMarker plugins, we could mention in the documentation how to do
> that. Can we install dltk 3.0 in the eclipse installation on the build server
> and can we post all bundles to the local repository of the build server?

By build server, do you mean "Jenkins"?  If so, it's quite likely infra could
instal dltk  (Eclipse Dynamic Language Took Kit) 3.0 and an Eclipse installation
of some level, on the Jenkins servers.

What do you use the dltk for?

-Marshall

>>> Additionally, I have the strong feeling that "really many" developers of
>>> maven-built plugins propagte the p2 repositories and that doing the opposite
>>> isn't the best way to go.
>> Hi Peter, can you say a bit more here?  Do you mean that there's a general move,
>> for Eclipse plugin projects, to not be using repositories hosted by Maven
>> Central, but instead to use some other "p2" repositories?  Is there a "central"
>> spot for p2 repositories - or are these just the many Eclipse update sites that
>> are all around the internet?
>>

> I am still new to maven and I have actually no clue at all. But this was my
> observation:
> - there are no latest plugins in the central repositories, e.g.,
> org.eclipse.ui.views only in version 3.2
> - there are no artifacts available for eclipse plugins that were built with
> maven, e.g., DLTK. Or I haven't found them.

UIMA Eclipse plugin artifacts, e.g., the uimaj-ep-debug artifact, built with
maven, are on maven central, for example, here:
http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/uima/uimaj-ep-debug/

But perhaps that's not what you mean.

Also, the "normal" way of consuming Eclipse plugins is to use Eclipse's "update
site" mechanism, so we have a post-build / post-release step that takes new
Eclipse plugins and/or fragments (or new versions of existing ones) and packages
them as an eclipse update site.
> - the developers of eclipse plugins built with maven probably use p2
> repositories, at least the DLTK developers do and recommended that
>
> In summary, this looks to me that there is a tendency towards p2 for
> dependencies to eclipse plugins.
>
> You specify the p2 repository in the pom like any other maven repository (I
> think):
>
> <repositories>
> <repository>
> <id>eclipse-indigo</id>
> <layout>p2</layout>
> <url>http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo</url>
> </repository>
> </repositories>

I didn't know about this.  There may be some special "version" of maven needed
for this.  A search on the web for maven model turned up this spec for the 3.0.4
(current, I think) version: http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.4/maven-model/maven.html

and if you search for <layout> it says the only values allowed are "default" and
"legacy"; it doesn't mention p2.  This might be an extension only usable by
systems such as Tycho.

-Marshall