uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: testing Eclipse 4.2 with included m2e
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:30:30 GMT
  Thanks for your answer.

Did you deactivate "Build Automatically" in your workspace to avoid 1) ?

I am always a bit anxious when eclipse wants to build, for example,
uimaj-ep-runtime for some reason. Due to the lifecycle mapping, the goal
unpack-dependencies is not executed resulting in a useless jar. At
least, this is what I think happens.

Peter

On 04.07.2012 17:07, Marshall Schor wrote:
> On 7/3/2012 5:01 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>   Hi Marshall,
>>
>> thanks for the information.
>>
>> Just a short question so that I might understand the maven stuff a bit more.
>>
>> This lifecylce mapping deactivates the mentioned goals and therefore some
>> projects cannot be built with m2e, e.g., the runtime plugin because of the
>> inclusion of the other projects, right?
> Hmm, I don't quite understand what you're saying.  But I think there are maybe 3
> styles of building:
>
> 1) The "automatic" build of the Eclipse workspace, or the build that happens
> when you pick Eclipse's menu ->  project ->  clean.
> 2) The build that happens (with or without Eclipse running) when you use the
> "mvn" command from a command line.
> 3) The build that happens when you right-click a project and select Run and then
> pick a maven build action.
>
> #2 and #3 I think run essentially outside of Eclipse using the normal maven
> infrastructure and maven plugins.
> #1 is the only one that m2e is affecting.
>
> Now, the way m2e does various actions when building seems to be to call the
> underlying maven plugin (except perhaps sometimes, when the m2e developers
> determined that the plugin was too buggy).  See
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_Extension_Development for an example.
>
> In my building of things, the Eclipse plugin projects are not built in style
> #1.  When I need to build them, I use #2 or #3.  I don't think there's a
> connector bridge (yet) for the felix bundle plugin.
>> I observe this when I build UIMA and was wondering if this is normal to add
>> the mapping in order to get rid of the (m2e) problems. I did this in my
>> workspace, but haven't seen any comments on the webpage about that. However,
>> all works fine when I build the projects directly with "run as maven build...
>> package". Please correct me, if I got something wrong.
> I think you are correct.  "run as maven build... package" is the style #3 above.
>
> -Marshall

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/