uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA C++ SDK 2.4.0
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:29:53 GMT
I've done the following:

On Windows 7, with Microsoft visual express (free C++ environment)

- downloaded the SVN tag, and the artifacts from Bhavani's people distr for rc6
- compared the svn tag and the source-release - compare OK except for some
line-endings (I'm working on Windows).
- checked the asc tags on all files - ok
- checked the md5 on some files - ok

- checked the Release notes - found List of Issues has minor formatting error
for the last 2 issues - not enough of an issue to block the release, but should
be fixed for next release or release candidate.

- ran the bin install verification - dave detector. This had several issues (see
below)
- ran build from source (without building the other dependency components
(Xerces-C, APR, ICU, etc.) but trying to instead use the pre-built versions that
come with the binary distribution) - using vcexpress - had some issues, see below.
- ran the test cases built from source, against the build-from-source build - OK
--- note - didn't test the integration with Java UIMA

The issues I had came from not having the required build environment, which is
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005.
There's some information on building with vcexpress, but it didn't quite work
for me.

The README says:

The following commands assume you are running from a Microsoft Visual
Studio 2005 Command Prompt. If using MSVC Express Edition, replace the
devenv command with vcexpress

Doing this results in the vcexpress command printing a blank line, and
completing with no message, instantly, without doing anything.

The thing which works is:  type vcexpress with just one argument - the solution
or project name.  This brings up the vcexpress GUI, which says it needs to
"convert" the project metadata to a newer level.  You need to reply OK to permit
this to happen.  Then, you can right-click the projects and pick build to build
them.

For building from source, the instructions say to build all the dependencies.
On Windows, APR has not made a build-from-source possible using the free
vcexpress tooling.  So I can't test this (I don't have the required build
tooling for building APR).

Instead of this, I used the pre-built versions of the dependency projects from
the uima-cpp binary distribution. This worked except for one project -
deployCppService - because that requires a header file not available.

But to make it build using the pre-built versions, I had to do an undocumented
thing: set UIMACPP_HOME to where the binary distribution was unzipped.

I think these specifics - on how to build using the "free" version of Windows
tooling (vcexpress), should be documented better (but I don't consider it a
reason to not release this release).  I suggest documenting both in the README
and on our UIMA Website (and having the README include a reference to the UIMA
website location for "current" up-to-date build instructions for various situations.

Based on this, I'm +1 for releasing.

[x] +1 OK to release

-Marshall