uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: CAS Editor default annotation style
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:08:40 GMT
  Hi,

I've taken a short look at the implementation and my attention was drawn
to two methods:

DefaultColors.assignColors() assigns style background with somewhat
random but different bright colors to all types. This method is called
when is type system is not known yet.

AnnotationStyle.getAnnotationStyleFromStore() tries to read to stored
style. If there is no information, then the style is set underlined red.

The situation in my use case is the following: I create a script with
some type definitions resulting in a type system. I write some rules and
test the result by taking a look at the xmi with the CAS Editor. Here,
the first method is applied, because the type system is new. Then I
write additional rules and add some other types. If I now review the
result, the new types in the known types system are all set to
red/underlined, because if the second method. Thus, it's harder to
distinguish them.

If it is okay for you, then I would open a feature request for assigning
a random bright background color as default in
AnnotationStyle.getAnnotationStyleFromStore()

Best,

Peter

On 03.08.2012 16:44, Peter Klügl wrote:
>  On 03.08.2012 16:30, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>> On 08/03/2012 04:20 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I observed that new types are often visualized with "underlined/red"
>>> (although I normally only use "background color") resulting in 50%
>>> of the types with the same annotation style.This probably happens
>>> when I open the same xmi with incrementally bigger type systems. I
>>> have not yet taken a look at the code and this is not a real issue,
>>> but a bit annoying.
>>>
>>> Do you know anything about this behavior?
>>
>> Yes, that is the initial styling for a new TS. The Document Provider
>> is responsible to initialize the styling.
>> Do you need code pointers?
>>
>> Lets have a look at the code, maybe we should change that a bit to
>> make it easier. If I remember correctly the ide
>> plugin integration does not really take the case into account where a
>> TS is updated. In that case the user needs
>> to assign the color manually.
>>

> No pointers needed. If the Document Provider does the initialization,
> then I know where to look.
>
> I often have differing use cases compared to the normal usage of the
> CAS Editor. I personally would assign a random bright background color
> to types for which the user has not manually assigned a color. Isn't
> that also done for a completely new TS under some circumstances?
> Thus, highlighted annotations of different types can be distinguished
> more easily.
>
> However, this is just my first thought. I will take a look at the code
> next week.
>
> Best,
>
> Peter

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/