uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: CAS Editor default annotation style
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:47:25 GMT
  Ok, I will open an issue when Jira is online again and will implement
the proposed changes. However, it could take a while, because I go on
vacation (two weeks).

Best,

Peter

On 10.08.2012 10:42, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Yes, thats sounds good to me. The important thing here is that colors do
> not change randomly if the type system changes. So after a color is
> assigned,
> the assigned color should be stored inside the configuration, instead
> of repeating
> the process the next time the CAS is loaded. If the process is
> repeated and a change
> occurs to the type system than the color assigning code might choose a
> different one.
>
> Jörn
>
> On 08/10/2012 10:08 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> I've taken a short look at the implementation and my attention was
>> drawn to two methods:
>>
>> DefaultColors.assignColors() assigns style background with somewhat
>> random but different bright colors to all types. This method is
>> called when is type system is not known yet.
>>
>> AnnotationStyle.getAnnotationStyleFromStore() tries to read to stored
>> style. If there is no information, then the style is set underlined red.
>>
>> The situation in my use case is the following: I create a script with
>> some type definitions resulting in a type system. I write some rules
>> and test the result by taking a look at the xmi with the CAS Editor.
>> Here, the first method is applied, because the type system is new.
>> Then I write additional rules and add some other types. If I now
>> review the result, the new types in the known types system are all
>> set to red/underlined, because if the second method. Thus, it's
>> harder to distinguish them.
>>
>> If it is okay for you, then I would open a feature request for
>> assigning a random bright background color as default in
>> AnnotationStyle.getAnnotationStyleFromStore()
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Peter

>>> No pointers needed. If the Document Provider does the
>>> initialization, then I know where to look.
>>>
>>> I often have differing use cases compared to the normal usage of the
>>> CAS Editor. I personally would assign a random bright background
>>> color to types for which the user has not manually assigned a color.
>>> Isn't that also done for a completely new TS under some
>>> circumstances?  Thus, highlighted annotations of different types can
>>> be distinguished more easily.
>>>
>>> However, this is just my first thought. I will take a look at the
>>> code next week.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Peter

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/