uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eck...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: CAS serialization performance: XMI vs. Java serialization
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:40:04 GMT
Small update in case anybody is interested. I ran the experiment again, this time writing to
a ByteArrayOutputStream (initialized with a 512kb buffer). So it's measuring encoding time
now, no I/O, no GZip.

bin: 0:04:17.699 	11.266.341.029 byte
xmi: 0:24:40.485 	23.961.447.013 byte

That's more the expected difference. Still no results for reading though.

Cheers,

-- Richard

>> I am looking for a way to improve loading times in an application, so I did a little
experiment with binary CAS serialization to see if it was superior to XMI serialization. For
serialization I used the CASCompleteSerializer to serialize the type-system and heaps into
the same file using Java object serialization - at least that is what I understood it should
do. To read in these files, I would deserialize the CASCompleteSerializer and initialize a
CAS from it using CASImpl.reinit().

>> 96.400 files
>>
>> plain text (uncompressed)      :                 581.865.593 Byte
>> binary (serialized java, gzip) : 0:47:02.835   3.555.449.597 Byte
>> xmi (gzip)                     : 1:20:31.535   4.712.633.769 Byte

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universit├Ąt Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de