uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: Documentation formatting and examples
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:46:38 GMT
Hi,

On 20.11.2012 16:10, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding the xml formatting - I haven't found (yet) a nice editor for that - so
> I just use a plain text editor.  My fingers have gotten quite speedy over the
> years at touch-typing those pesky < and />  things.
>
> Re: putting example projects - I've seen two approaches used.  You can certainly
> put sample things in other top level directories (other than src/main/java,
> src/test/java).  Many of the addons /sandbox projects do that.  And, to state
> the obvious (sorry :-) ), when checking into SVN, it is usual to include the
> source while excluding things which are "built".
> You can add to the POM whatever build steps might be needed for these other
> things (if any).
>
> The other approach is to have a separate project, with a POM for maven, and
> whatever "build" might make sense for people that check out and might use maven
> to build it.  This is what the main UIMA SDK does- it has a project
> uimaj-examples, set up in this way.

Hmm, let me illustrate my question a bit more. I want to provide some
exemplary TextMarker projects, which are Eclipse projects with a
TextMarker nature, containing some script files with rules and textual
documents the rules are written for, etc...  The project is supposed to
be built with the TextMarker IDE, so no maven, no pom, only some sort of
TextMarker builder. So its rather something like the former corpus
project for the CAS Editor.

I usually store my TextMarker projects for information extraction
applications in my own SVN and have the advantages, e.g., of versioning
of the rule files. My natural attempt would be to commit the example
project to our SVN, so that new TextMarker user can check out the
project in the TextMarker IDE and play a bit around with the provided
rules/files. However, I can imagine that the approriate location of
those projects is not the sandbox SVN. Maybe its better provided as an
archive at my personal webspace at people.apache.org.

Is it OK, if I create a new folder like
uima/sandbox/trunk/TextMarker/example-projects? If yes, then how strict
do I have to be about adding license information to the textual files?

Best,

Peter

PS: I usually also store the build result of a TextMarker project, that
is the set of descriptors, also in the SVN, but I can change that :-)