uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Documentation formatting and examples
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:48:12 GMT

On 11/20/2012 10:46 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> ... <snip>
> Hmm, let me illustrate my question a bit more. I want to provide some
> exemplary TextMarker projects, which are Eclipse projects with a TextMarker
> nature, containing some script files with rules and textual documents the
> rules are written for, etc...  The project is supposed to be built with the
> TextMarker IDE, so no maven, no pom, only some sort of TextMarker builder. So
> its rather something like the former corpus project for the CAS Editor.
>
> I usually store my TextMarker projects for information extraction applications
> in my own SVN and have the advantages, e.g., of versioning of the rule files.
> My natural attempt would be to commit the example project to our SVN, so that
> new TextMarker user can check out the project in the TextMarker IDE and play a
> bit around with the provided rules/files. However, I can imagine that the
> approriate location of those projects is not the sandbox SVN. Maybe its better
> provided as an archive at my personal webspace at people.apache.org.
>
> Is it OK, if I create a new folder like
> uima/sandbox/trunk/TextMarker/example-projects? If yes, then how strict do I
> have to be about adding license information to the textual files?
Yes, I think this is fine.  It's a subfolder of TextMarker, so it won't be
confused with other things.

I'm not sure about the other question.  There are two parts here.  One is, we
don't want files in our SVN that are under some non-conforming license, such as
the GPL.   But I would guess that you are instead talking about sample files of
text that you use in TextMarker, which you "made up", but don't want to pollute
with the normal Apache header because it would mess up the TextMarker
processing.  For these kinds of files you can document (perhaps in a separate
file in some containing folder)  what the situation is with those files.  In
uimaj-examples, these files are documented in the POM, which builds/packages the
examples and all of the demo projects within it, in the part of the POM that
specifies RAT exclusions (RAT is the automated build checker that examines all
the files to see that they have the proper license headers).

I hope this answers your question, but if I've misunderstood something, please
ask again.

-Marshall