uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: types added after type system commit - request for more understanding :-)
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:09:56 GMT
On 26/11/12 15:56, Marshall Schor wrote:
> I saw in the code that's run during type system commit a comment that subtypes
> of FsArray (which specify the allowed type of the element of the array) can be
> added after the type system commit.
>
> But it may be that this is some kind of housekeeping (I don't fully understand),
> and these types don't actually appear as type codes in the CAS.  Or maybe they do?
>
> Does anyone remember how all this is supposed to work?  I'm concerned in case
> the code that was recently committed for compressed serializing has to do
> something special for these types.  Currently, the code pre-computes information
> about the type system, once, and that is reused.  However, if more types were
> added subsequently, and these types could appear in the CAS as type codes, this
> would need to be checked for and recomputed.
>
> -Marshall

As I recall, the idea was that you could create, say, an FSArray<Token>
in your code without having to declare that type in the type system.
Not sure you can actually do that, but I think you can.  When this type
is requested from the type system, and it doesn't exist yet, it is
created on the fly.  I was going back and forth with Adam about this at
the time, but I don't recall what we ended up doing.  Your code should
not have to worry about it, unless I'm missing something here (which is
definitely possible).

--Thilo