uima-dev mailing list archives

From Tommaso Teofili <tommaso.teof...@gmail.com>
Subject A light raodmap proposal for UIMA addons
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2012 08:10:33 GMT
Hi all,

currently I don't think we have a proper roadmap on the addons development
so I'd like to propose one.

Some of the addons are based on some other libraries (e.g. Lucene, Solr,
Tika, etc.) so the first thing I'd like to do is gradually update those to
newly released major versions; these touches:
- TikaAnnotator : currently at 0.7, migrate to 1.2 and make a release
- Lucas : currently at 2.9.3, migrate to 3.6 / 4.x and maybe make one
release each (because of API / index change from 3.x to 4.x)
- Solrcas : currently at 3.1, migrate to 3.6 / 4.x and maybe make one
release each (because of API / index change from 3.x to 4.x)

The following addons providing services from external services may need an
update as well in order to get latest features
- OpenCalaisAnnotator
- AlchemyAPIAnnotator
then release each of them

For all the others I think it's more or less just bugfixing.

Another thing I'd like to add to our website / documentation is something
like "how to do NLP task X within Apache UIMA"; we currently have a list of
external sources plus the addons page but I think it'd be nice for a user
to know which known open source UIMA enabled options exist for doing e.g.
language detection, tokenization, etc either in the addons package or from
some other sources.

What do you think?
Regards,
Tommaso