uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Questions about TextMarker release
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:39:15 GMT

>>> You could also want to make minor or major releases independent from the UIMA
release cycle, e.g. when you introduce new features, change the script grammar or do other
potentially incompatible changes (e.g. fully qualified type names and aliases for them? ;)
).
>> Yes, I agree.
>>
>> What about the version numbers of uimafit? Do they remain the same (1.5.0)?
>>
>> …btw... after uimafit completely arrived, we need to talk about how TextMarker
can interact better with the uimafit concepts :-)
> I'd rather tend towards a 2.0.0 since all the package names and stuff will change. It's
going to be interesting if and what kind of backwards compatibility can be provided. I have
yet to dive down into the dirty details.

One thing we did in UIMA for this kind of a change was to deliver a code-change
tool.  IIRC, it walked over a user source tree and and did a bunch of
rename-like changes.

http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/overview_and_setup.html#ugr.project_overview_migrating_from_ibm_uima

-Marshall