uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Replace update site with composite repository
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:40:29 GMT

On 1/8/2013 4:17 PM, Peter Kl├╝gl wrote:
> ... <snip>
>>> I don't know and I haven't tried it yet. However, Steven has indicated that
>>> this will probably won't work:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2475?focusedCommentId=13484857&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13484857
>>>

>> This post looks like he was on the right track, but didn't realize that the
>> target/eclipse-update-site in the project uimaj-eclipse-update-site isn't the
>> update site, but rather a partial update site which has to "merged" with the
>> full update site.
>>

> Well, we can try to apply the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher on the complete
> update site and verify if Tycho is able to resolve the dependencies. I will
> investigate this tomorrow.

There's a lot of out-of-date information on p2 repo building on the internet.
The site I think has the most correct / up-to-date info is
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2

Following that to http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Getting_Started_for_Releng
there's a link to
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Publisher which describes multiple methods of
getting things set up for update sites.  The variations seem to depend on what
you're starting with. If you have an old-style existing update site (with a
site.xml - which among other things has the category info), it can use that
(UpdateSite Publisher app).  If you don't, you can just use the Features and
Bundles App, and then use the Category publisher to add the categories.

In both cases, the use of the siteOptimizer app to "compress" the jars, I
believe is no longer needed (and has been pointed out - that application is no
longer available in later Eclipse releases), because both the UpdateSite
publisher and Features and Bundles Publisher apps can do this compression (if
you specify compress).

I'm looking forward to hearing if FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher, run on the
complete Eclipse Update Site, will generate the info Tycho needs.  If you have
time, it would also be good to test if running UpdateSite publisher on the
complete Eclipse update site also works.

-Marshall