uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: JDK version used for releases
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:01:44 GMT

> Hi,
>
> I just looked at the "nicer Javadoc" tutorial [1] mentioned by Marshall. They suggest
to run releases with the actual minimum JDK version required by the project, e.g. a JDK 5
if the target version is 1.5.

> I wonder what the policy for UIMA releases. UIMA still targets Java 5, but for example
on recent OS X machines Java 5 is no longer available. So far I only set the source level
in the POM of my projects and rely on the JDK doing the right thing - so far I had no complains.
Do you consider this to be enough, or do we actually have to get hold of some Linux an install
a JDK 5 there?

This should be enough, given we have Jenkins builds running on Java5.  Those
would catch any "accidental" dependencies on post-Java-5 APIs, which is the main
issue we've seen.

> Also, what about upgrading uimaj-core to Java 6? Afaik Java 5 is no longer officially
maintained (at least by Oracle, no idea about IBM and others). TextMarker cannot be built
with Java 5 (I tried it on Jenkins - doesn't work). The same goes for uimaFIT, although it
might be possible to step that down to 5 again - I had the misconception that Spring 3.x was
Java-6-only, but just read that it supports Java 5 as well.

Our general posture is to upgrade to the next Java level when "required", given
that later Java levels are OK for running UIMA as well.  If we move before we
need to, it only serves to possibly shrink (albeit perhaps very slightly) our
user base.

If TextMarker cannot be built with Java 5, a good question to investigate is
what it would take to make it buildable under 5.  My experience is that this is
frequently a pretty trivial change.
But if it turned out that there's some solid reason Java 6 is required, that
could be sufficient reason to upgrade all of UIMA to 6.

-Marshall