uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kl├╝gl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: JDK version used for releases
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:04:15 GMT
Am 10.01.2013 18:01, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> On 1/9/2013 4:32 PM, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just looked at the "nicer Javadoc" tutorial [1] mentioned by Marshall. They suggest
to run releases with the actual minimum JDK version required by the project, e.g. a JDK 5
if the target version is 1.5.

>> I wonder what the policy for UIMA releases. UIMA still targets Java 5, but for example
on recent OS X machines Java 5 is no longer available. So far I only set the source level
in the POM of my projects and rely on the JDK doing the right thing - so far I had no complains.
Do you consider this to be enough, or do we actually have to get hold of some Linux an install
a JDK 5 there?
> This should be enough, given we have Jenkins builds running on Java5.  Those
> would catch any "accidental" dependencies on post-Java-5 APIs, which is the main
> issue we've seen.
>

>> Also, what about upgrading uimaj-core to Java 6? Afaik Java 5 is no longer officially
maintained (at least by Oracle, no idea about IBM and others). TextMarker cannot be built
with Java 5 (I tried it on Jenkins - doesn't work). The same goes for uimaFIT, although it
might be possible to step that down to 5 again - I had the misconception that Spring 3.x was
Java-6-only, but just read that it supports Java 5 as well.
> Our general posture is to upgrade to the next Java level when "required", given
> that later Java levels are OK for running UIMA as well.  If we move before we
> need to, it only serves to possibly shrink (albeit perhaps very slightly) our
> user base.
>
> If TextMarker cannot be built with Java 5, a good question to investigate is
> what it would take to make it buildable under 5.  My experience is that this is
> frequently a pretty trivial change.
> But if it turned out that there's some solid reason Java 6 is required, that
> could be sufficient reason to upgrade all of UIMA to 6.

I will investigate it.

Peter