uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker Release Candidate 1
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:35:41 GMT
Hi,

Am 24.01.2013 17:09, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> On 1/24/2013 4:52 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>> Just another comment about the composite repository:
>>
>> I refrained from providing an extended composite repository, because, as I
>> already mentioned, it is not yet officially available (or am I wrong?).
>> However, there are also two small additional reasons: I do not believe that
>> this rc is the last one (so that the extended composite repository would be
>> released as it is) and my feature (should) use another category. Therefore, it
>> should be quite independent of the other subsites.
> My thought was that we would use the release vote for TextMarker to do the
> switch from our previous non-P2 repo to the new P2 repo (with composite
> repository) design :-).  However, if there is a need to go ahead and release the
> new p2 update site before the textmarker release, we could do that, too (but in
> the interest of avoiding extra "churn" and work, I'd like to avoid that if we
> could).

Ah OK, no problem. I will provide the composite repository with the
three update sites in the next RC and change the name of the vote to
reflect that we also vote on the conposite repository.

> I agree your feature should likely use a new category ("TextMarker" ?).  Or, if
> you think it will be just one feature, it could be added to the
> uima-tooling-and-runtimes category.
>
> (We currently have 2 categories:  the uima-tooling-and-runtimes, and the
> uima-as-tooling.)

Currently, there is a new category "uima-textmarker" / "Apache UIMA
TextMarker" with one feature "UIMA TextMarker Workbench". When I think
now about that, then we should probably have two features, one for the
workbench/ide/tooling and one for the engine. (We can do that in the
next release if there is a need)

I think it is better to have a separate update site since the code
quality of the textmarker projects is still way behind the rest of uima.
There will also probably be shorter release cycles. So, we do not have
to touch the other update sites, when we release a new textmarker update
site. The textmarker update site is already ready, thus merging would be
more work now and for the next release.

Peter