uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC2 AND Composite Repository
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 21:44:02 GMT
Am 29.01.2013 20:25, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/TextMarker-2.0.0-rc2/src_bin/
> directory,
> there are multiple files where the version is missing, and instead is the
> literal string ${parseVersion.osgiVersion}.

I already observed this in RC1, but I have not investigated this
problem, because it also happens for the other uima plugins, e.g.,
uimaj-ep-cas-editor

> I think these need to be fixed - so the version is included in the released file
> name.
>
> Also, what is the purpose of this whole directory?  I think perhaps all of the
> "jars" having compiled classed and their associated signatures/checksum files
> can be deleted?  My Reasoning:

Yes. My reason for providing all those files was the fact that those
files are uploaded to the staging repository. I read something that
these files should also be provided in the webspace in order to
facilitate the reviewing.

If those poms are not needed, then there is maybe no problem so solve.

> these Jars are for the convenience of users.  But users won't be using them via
> this path.  They'll either be using them via Eclipse update site, or (less
> likely?) via pulling them as dependencies from Maven Central.

I must admit that I already wondered how and in which form TextMarker
will be released. There is the update site for the workbench, of course.
However, there are maybe some people (maybe in Richards group) that are
using TextMarker rules directly in some maven-built projects, without
the Workbench, only adding some maven dependency. Even users of the
workbench will eventually integrate the developed analysis engines in
some applications that are maybe built with maven. Then, there should
maybe also be the option to download all binaries (uima-textmarker.jar
and the plugins), similar to the uimaj release. If not, then non-maven
developers have to get/download somehow the update site and add the
engine plugin as an library.

> So, there's no need to include them here, I think.

Should I remove them for the next RC? I just added as much as possible
in order to not forget anything.

Best,

Peter