uima-dev mailing list archives

From Neal R Lewis <nrle...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Requirements / Wish List for CAS Store?
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 19:37:18 GMT

Hello All, and Happy New Year!

We've been working on our own  CAS Store for persisting CASes for our
analytics platform.  There has been interest in this topic recently,
specifically :

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.uima.devel/15292

Renaud discussed a module using MangoDB about a CAS Store:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.uima.devel/15429

>From what I've seen in the UIMA Oasis Spec Version 1.0, there isn't any
discussion as to what would be a standard CAS Store.  If someone has more
information on a UIMA backed store, please let me know.

Given  this interest, I was curious to ask the dev community:

What would you like to see in a CAS Store?  What kind of requirements have
you had in your experience with UIMA, with respect to a CAS Store?

As was mentioned in the above threads, the impetus for a store seems to be
the need for a way to store CASes that will be used later by a different
analytic pipeline while still maintaining all CAS information.

Below is a list of requirements that I have gleaned from this board and my
own experiences.  Please add or comment on what you think would be the most
useful.  Please note that I'm not necessarily concerned with implementation
(e.g., SQL vs NoSQL) at this time.

    1. Persist new CASes to the store
    2. Query the store for a single CAS or a group of CASes
    3. Query the store for a fragment  of a CAS (e.g., a sofa, view, or
result)
    4. Update stored CASes with new results from Analysis Operations -
possibly the delta only
    5. Provenance - This is one of our requirements where the ids of the
CASes are maintained so as to provide evidence for our annotators after
they've run on down stream analytics.
    6. Universal identifiers for CASes.

I can go into more detail about the above, if anyone is interested.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Neal Lewis