uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA top parent-pom, uima-build-helper-maven-plugn, and uima-build-resources version 5
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:35:34 GMT

> Looking at the parent-pom-5-rc1 tag in svn:
>
> - The tag contains stuff that's not part of the RC (uima-docbook-olink, uima-eclipse-composite-update-site)
>
> - The reason for this is, that the parent folder of the aggregated modules (uima-build-resources,
uima-build-helper-maven-plugin) contains additional modules which are not part of the aggregator
(uima-docbook-olink, uima-eclipse-composite-update-site).
Yes, I agree with this analysis.   The more frequent way we update these things
is by doing them individually.  I think maven has a bit of logic which looks at
the things in the reactor (projects being built together) and searches upwards
in the directory structure to find a common directory, and then tags that in SVN
(since tags don't actually copy) as a way of getting an "instantaneous" level
across all of the things being built.

> - It confuses me when an aggregator POM is not in the parent folder of the aggregated
modules.
Right, this is the normal build convention for Maven.   We typically do not
release the build tooling as parts of aggregated modules.  This was only done,
for this release, as a way to get all 3 things released together, in one go.  I
think an alternative would have been to release each one separately, but that
would have maybe required doing first the parent-pom release (and getting votes
done), and then updating the other two projects to have as their parent pom the
parent-pom at version 5, in a subsequent vote.  I was trying to avoid extra
votes :-)

> - The parent-pom contains settings marked with "ADDONS ONLY". These appear to be redundant
with settings in the addons-parent. Either one or the other should be removed?
Right - in general, things in any xxx-parent which are duplicated with the
parent-wide pom, should be removed in the xxx-parent.  They're in the xxx-parent
only because of the time involved in getting a next parent-pom released - the
xxx-parent provides a way (for the xxx project) to fix mistakes in the
parent-pom before its next release.

Thanks for your careful review!

-Marshall