uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <richard.eck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I'm thinking it would be good to do a 2.4.2 SDK bug fix release?
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 17:53:07 GMT
Most of the time I override the Maven release plugin default ;)

In a three-segment version (x.y.z), I tend to adopt the following scheme:

The x-segment, I use for major features and/or incompatible changes. Hence
a lot of changes in uimaFIT had to wait for the upcoming 2.0.0 release.

The y-segment, I use for normal feature releases. Depending on the project
that may or may not include incompatible changes. For a rather stable
project like uimaFIT, a y-segment increase should not include incompatible
changes.

The z-segment, I reserve for bugfix releases (stuff necessary between feature
releases because of oversights, unexpected issues, etc.) A bugfix release
should never include incompatible changes. It may fix incompatible changes
accidentially introduced in a y-segment release.

I think the 2.4.1 release definitely has a different quality than the
bugfix 2.4.2 release. I've seen people add an extra digit in such cases
(2.4.1.1). Artifactory versions had such cases in the past. But I don't
know the rationale behind their 3-segment versions.

It may be good to document a versioning guideline for UIMA somewhere.

Cheers,

-- Richard