uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <richard.eck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to use the new binary CAS (de)serialization?
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2013 18:29:31 GMT
Hi,

I'm still trying to use the new serialization methods but continue
running into problems.

Last time we discussed that I need to know the original type system
when I want to deserialize a format 6 binary CAS into a CAS.

So when I serialize the CAS now, I first write a header, then I
dump the type system into my output stream, and then the binary CAS
using

serializeWithCompression(cas, outputStream, cas.getTypeSystem());

When I read the data, I check for my header. If it is there, I
read the type system.

Now I wanted to call

deserializeCAS(cas, inputStream, typeSystem, null);

Unfortunately, that fails. The reason is, that this signature of
deserializeCAS immediately uses the BinaryCasSerDes6 to read
data from the input stream. However, serializeWithCompression
writes a header before the data that BinaryCasSerDes6. This
header is read by a deserializeCAS(cas, inputStream), but
in this signature, I have no way of specifying the original
type system.

Of course I can copy the whole header checking code from CASImpl,
but I don't think that is a good solution. I think the
deserializeCAS methods that UIMA provides should either all deal
with the header that the serializeWithCompression methods write,
or none should.

Maybe a solution for this dilemma is something that could also
go into a 2.4.2 release.

Cheers,

-- Richard