uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Bug in the release process: scm location in release pom points to rc
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2013 13:26:23 GMT

> There is a "bug" in the release process currently used for UIMA projects.
>
> The practice is to make rc release by
> - setting the version to the final version
> - changing the svn tag location adding -rcX
>
> The practice to accept a release is
> - rename the -rcX tag in svn, removing -rcX
>
> The bug is, that the SCM locations in the release POM are then pointing to the rc SVN
location.

> What's worse is, that after the release, the accepted rc folder in SVN is renamed, removing
the "-rcX". Consequently, the SVM location in the POM points to nowhere.

> Two problems:
>
> - the SCM location should point to a non-RC tag
> - the tag pointed to should not be systematically renamed/removed, making the SCM location
basically worthless

> Can we do something about this?

One "easy" thing to do is to change our practice, to having mvn release:prepare
take the default for the svn tag, without the -rcX suffix.

This would make both of these problems go away.

It would require manually deleting the svn tag for a "failed" release try, so it
could be recreated by the mvn release:prepare.

I'm ok with this, given that SVN will keep a history of the rc's if anyone
needed to go to a previous one for some reason that I can't think of.

WDYT?

-Marshall