uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: uima.runtime layout vs ruta.engine layout
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 14:58:10 GMT

On 9/2/2013 1:17 PM, Peter Kl├╝gl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a hard time to adapt the ruta.engine bundle to the new layout,
> which we use in the runtime plugin.
>
> Can someone explain to me the import section in the manifest of the
> runtime plugin? Why doesn't that cause problems either when starting
> eclipse or when building it with maven?
hmmm, let's see how much I can remember :-)

The bundle plugin can do 2 different things: 1) prepare a manifest, and 2) add
things to the target/classes to be JARed up (at a later time, perhaps, if the
packaging type for the POM is "Jar".

The POM could say the packaging type is "bundle", but we use "jar" - this keeps
the bundle plugin from doing the Jar, and allows the mvn Jar plugin to do that
(which, in turn, allows us to follow the apache conventions for what goes into a
Jar).

The bundle plugin is typically driven by "export-package" statements.  These
these get added to the manifest *and* are added to the bundle's Jar.  Except,
since we're not using the bundle package, this 2nd step does something slightly
different - it adds (if not already present) the package to the target/classes
(to be eventually added to the Jar in a later Maven step).  What gets added
includes whatever can be found with that package name in the sources
(non-existent for runtime-plugins) and the dependency jars.

However, for the runtime plugin, we don't want to add classes individually; we
want to include entire sub-jars in our to-be-built-Jar.

To support this, the bundle plugin has two instructions.

1) replace <Export-Package> with <_exportcontents>.  This does exactly the same
thing as Export-Package for the manifest, but doesn't do any actions re: copying
dependencies into the target/classes spot.

2) add an <Embed-Dependency> statement - This does 2 things:  for each
dependency, it (a) copies the Jar into the target/classes, at some "path" - we
use "" as the path - so these jars are copied directly into target/classes, and
will be zipped up by the subsequent mvn jar plugin.

The 2nd thing it does is it adds to the manifest a Bundle-Classpath element,
specifying all the jars that got embedded, with the right "path" inside the
enclosing Jar.

This latter thing is what allows Eclipse to find the packages inside the bundle
inside the inner Jars.

With this approach, no "import-package" statements are used, unless you need to
specify some non-default kind of resolution, or "negate" some part of the
import.  Without import-package statements, the default is to import all
dependent packages.

So, I would try: replace import-package with _exportcontents, and add the Embed
Dependencies element

Does that work for you?  If not, please describe what's not working.  See the
uimaj-ep-runtime pom for an example of this.

-Marshall