uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: javadoc generating conventions
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 21:15:03 GMT
It would be possible to activate profiles by properties instead of explicitly.

E.g. we could build a "rat" profile which is activated by two properties
"apache.release" and "jenkins.build".

  mvn -Dapache.release

vs.

  mvn -Papache.release

If multiple conditions are specified on a profile, it is activated if any of the
conditions is true (OR).

That way, we could bind profiles to multiple circumstances. Additional profiles
could be set up for running code quality plugins (I currently invoke these
goals explicitly in the Maven build) and they could also be bound to the
"jenkins.build" property (mind there are some properties always set during
jenkins builds, so we could just hijack one of these instead of inventing a
new one).

Finally, if any of the profiles had a serious problem, it should still be
possible to explicitly disable them, e.g. "-P!findbugs"

-- Richard

On 05.09.2013, at 23:04, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> On 9/5/2013 4:53 PM, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>> Wouldn't we have to duplicate significant parts of the configurations?
> I guess that would depend on what we wanted to include in the Jenkins build
> that's not already there.  I don't think there's too much worthwhile.  The only
> thing I see of interest is the RAT check.  Other things like the source-releases
> build don't seem useful to do (because that step is very unlikely to cause any
> errors).
>
> I think the only other thing done is the apidocs line-endings fixup (not very
> interesting).
>
> -Marshall
>>
>> -- Richard
>>
>> On 05.09.2013, at 22:50, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
>>
>>> how about having a jenkins-build profile, set for jenkins builds?  Then we could
>>> put anything we wanted into that.
>>>
>>> I think that might be more "direct" and maintainable than turning on
>>> apache-release, and then somehow turning off some parts of that.
>>>
>>> -Marshall

(the