uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA-DUCC 1.0.0 RC4
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:15:35 GMT
This is somehow related to a late commit to trunk done here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/uima/sandbox/uima-ducc/trunk/uima-ducc-duccdocs/src/site/tex/duccbook/part3/ducc-applications.tex?r1=1556062&r2=1556274

The source.zip picked up the "old" value, while the tag got the new one.

This can't happen, except as follows:

1) the release:prepare builds from the copy in the checkout on disk (which could
be missing a late-arriving update).
2) the release:prepare therefore builds in /target a version of source-release
without the late-arriving update.
3) the release:prepare "tags" the source, but this is done by telling SVN to
'copy' the trunk to the tag; data is not transmitted from the checkout to the
tag.  This means, the tag has the late-arriving update).
4) the release:perform checkouts the tag into .../target/checkout, and builds
that.  This creates new artifacts in  .../target/checkout/target, including a
new source-release.zip.  This will match the svn tag.

The error occurred when the source-release.zip was posted to p.a.o for
examination: it was uploaded (manually) from
.../target/uima-ducc-1.0.0-source-release.zip, instead of
.../target/checkout/target/uima-ducc-1.0.0-source-release.zip.

This uploaded the version of source-release which was missing the late-arriving
change.

So, the moral of this story is 2-fold: don't change the trunk while someone's
doing releasing :-), and when uploading release candidate artifacts, be sure to
pick them from .../target/checkout/target/... not .../target.

I'll add a note about this to our web-site pages release and checklist-release.

-Marshall