uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC3
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2014 14:39:52 GMT
We have three votes and I assume that I can close the vote now. I will
actually do so and continue the release process if nobody objects in the
next 30 minutes or something.

I just wanted to mention it, because we had a discussion about the
differences between committers and PMC members, and I actually stated
something wrong in that discussion.

The page about voting [1] says:

"Who is permitted to vote is, to some extent, a community-specific
thing. However, the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding
votes, and all others are either discouraged from voting (to keep the
noise down) or else have their votes considered of an indicative or
advisory nature only.

That's the general rule. In actual fact, things tend to be a little
looser, and procedural votes from developers and committers are
sometimes considered binding if the voter has acquired enough merit and
respect in the community. Only votes by PMC members are considered
binding on code-modification issues, however."

Our page about decisions [2] says:

"All Contributors are encouraged to participate in decisions, but the
decision itself is made by those that have Committer status in the
Project. In other words, the Project is a " Minimum Threshold Meritocracy"."
"Any subscriber to the list may vote on any issue or action item.
However, the only binding votes are those cast by a Committer."

Best,

Peter

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
[2] http://uima.apache.org/decisions.html