uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC5
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 13:26:22 GMT

On 4/7/2014 8:29 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Am 05.04.2014 23:02, schrieb Marshall Schor:
>> question on the license / notice files:
>>
>> The Jar for ruta-ep-engine has a notice which says, in part:
>>
>> The MersenneTwister class in package org.apache.commons.math3.random
>> includes software translated from the 2002-01-26 version of
>> the Mersenne-Twister generator written in C by Makoto Matsumoto and Takuji
>> Nishimura. Original source copyright:
>> Copyright (C) 1997 - 2002, Makoto Matsumoto and Takuji Nishimura,
>> All rights reserved
>> ===============================================================================
>> The LocalizedFormatsTest class in the unit tests is an adapted version of
>> the OrekitMessagesTest class from the orekit library distributed under the
>> terms of the Apache 2 licence. Original source copyright:
>> Copyright 2010 CS Communication & Systèmes
>> ===============================================================================
>> The complete text of licenses and disclaimers associated with the the original
>> sources enumerated above at the time of code translation are in the LICENSE.txt
>> file.
>>
>> The LICENSE file (not LICENSE.txt) file makes no mention of either of these
>> things - does it need to, or do the existing items in the license cover these?
>
> Well, I don't know.
>
> The text in the notice file was copied from the jar contained in this
> artifact. In this case it's commons-math3-3.0.jar, which contains the
> LICENSE.txt file that was referred to by the original mention. I can add the
> list of items in LICENSE.txt to our LICENSE file in a new RC or in the next
> release, but I am actually not sure if I have/need/should. I can try to reread
> the corresponding apache pages about the topic or ask on the respective
> mailing list tomorrow.
>
> Advice would be greatly appreciated.

I looked at the license file in that jar and it seems to have a lot of
additional licenses.  So, one thing to do is to copy those licenses into the top
level license file for your distribution.

Another thing to possibly do is to "filter" the Jar to remove the parts you're
not using, and drop the notices/licenses for those parts (since the jar you'll
be distributing won't have those).

There are tools out there for figuring out what can be dropped, and doing the
filtering - I don't have a link at this moment, but I remember coming across
them when looking at Android packaging tooling.

-Marshall