uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC5
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2014 07:40:53 GMT
Am 07.04.2014 15:26, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> On 4/7/2014 8:29 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>> Advice would be greatly appreciated.
> I looked at the license file in that jar and it seems to have a lot of
> additional licenses.  So, one thing to do is to copy those licenses into the top
> level license file for your distribution.

That would be the engine plugin artifact.

> Another thing to possibly do is to "filter" the Jar to remove the parts you're
> not using, and drop the notices/licenses for those parts (since the jar you'll
> be distributing won't have those).
>
> There are tools out there for figuring out what can be dropped, and doing the
> filtering - I don't have a link at this moment, but I remember coming across
> them when looking at Android packaging tooling.

I'd rather remove the complete dependency. It is only used in the addons
plugin in one view of the cde framework, but we actually have been
thinking about using more functionality in the future. This would cause
us to do the filtering each time.

So, I will cancel the RC and create a new one with an extended LICENSE
file, right?

Just to mention a reason why this did not happen before:
https://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep

<quote>
Bundling an Apache-2.0-licensed Dependency
Assuming once again that that the dependency subtree contains no bundled
subcomponents under other licenses and thus the ALv2 applies uniformly
to all files, there is no need to modify LICENSE.

If the dependency supplies a NOTICE file, its contents must be analyzed
and the relevant portions bubbled up into the top-level NOTICE file.
</quote>

Reading this with the fact in mind that the dependency is a library
developed and released by ASF, one can easily think that the license
file does not need to be changed. Isn't there only one license for a
released artifact at ASF?

Peter