uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC5
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2014 14:43:57 GMT

On 4/8/2014 3:47 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Am 08.04.2014 09:40, schrieb Peter Klügl:
>> ...Reading this with the fact in mind that the dependency is a library
>> developed and released by ASF, one can easily think that the license
>> file does not need to be changed. Isn't there only one license for a
>> released artifact at ASF? Peter

If the dependency is a library developed and released by the ASF, and it doesn't
require any license other than the Apache v2 license, then you don't need to
repeat that license.

However, in this case, the library artifact developers have decided (for reasons
I don't know) that they need to include licenses other than the Apache v2
license, for their distributed artifact (their JAR, which, we are, in turn,
redistributing), which, means, I think, that if we are (re)distributing their
artifact, we have to bubble up their licenses to our top level, or have an
alternative licensing statement / strategy that describes what re-bundlers of
our work would need to know/do.

-Marshall