uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: inconsistency in implementation of SubIterators
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 07:00:43 GMT
On 10.04.2015, at 03:17, Nick Hill <apache@nickhill.org> wrote:

> I was proposing a simple subiterator(int start, int end) method to be added to the AnnoatationIndex
interface. This should satisfy all requirements .. i.e. it doesn't matter if the user has
an existing annotation in mind or not to define the span, or whether or not that annotation
exists in the index. If the user doesn't want that annotation in the result they can just
exclude it while iterating.

+1 ( a new method qualifies nicely as "new API" ;) )

> A boolean param could also be included to indicate whether to return annotations wholly
covered by the span, or all whose start index are in the span.

I personally like the approach in uimaFIT better where different modes of selection/iteration
are expressed using different verbs, e.g. selectCovered, selectCovering, etc. I think we have
no selectOverlapping, selectRightOverlapping, selectLeftOverlapping yet, but they are sometimes
requested by users.

Cheers,

-- Richard