uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generics in 2.8.0 getAllIndexedFS
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 15:23:07 GMT
On 08.07.2015, at 17:14, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> I agree that (3) is not "safe".  However it imposes a burden on the user
> (assuming they want to use some method that's in the type but not in TOP) to
> cast the result to the type.  This cast could also throw a runtime error, of course.
>
> So, what I'm thinking is that there's no particular value in not allowing 3) -
> the user could cause a runtime error in either case;
> but not doing 3) would make UIMA "get in the way" of coders trying to get their
> work done :-) - for the case where they were doing proper type casting.
>
> On balance, it seems to me to be better to allow 3.

I have to admit, I'm surprised to see you arguing this way ;)
I don't strongly object, but I suggest that we should hear at
least one other opinion on this.

So anybody: convenience vs type-safety in uimaj-core? -> What is your "vote"?

> re: using the older forms: yes, that's really not needed (except perhaps for
> edge cases), so could be deprecated.  At this point, I'm not sure that's worth
> doing, though...

I think the "point" probably isn't to badly chosen as contemplations towards a
UIMA 3 have begun at which point deprecated methods could then be removed.

> Here's one edge case (these are hard to think of :-) ).  The coder has a type
> hierarchy A -> B .  They define JCas class for A, but not for B.
> To get all instances of B, they would need the older format.

They could still use the CAS interface which would continue to offer the method.

Cheers,

-- Richard