uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Performance and ALLOW_DUP_ADD_TO_INDEXES
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:12:54 GMT
Thanks for explaining this "use case".

I was a bit unclear on the two instances of deserialization time.
One (the 70%) was xmi, the other (2%) was S+.  From reading the email chain, it
seems S+ is the "CasCompleteSerializer".  This switches to plain binary mode.
So you would avoid the XML parsing overhead.

But I think both deserializations would have the same issue around "allow_dups"
if that was where the substantial part of the slowdown was being spent, since
both would add all those annotations to the index.  Perhaps that was another use
case though...  Am I mixing these up?

-Marshall

On 1/7/2016 2:38 AM, Peter Kl├╝gl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> rule engineering in ruta follows a paradigm where you spam annotations,
> also with same type and offsets. Additionally, and probably the most
> critical case, the explanation of the rule inference creates those
> annotations for debugging. Imaging something like an annotation of the
> type "Debug" for every text span where some rule tried to match (and did
> not even succeed).
>
> In one of my use cases, the time spent in deserialization in the CAS
> Editor was reduced from 70% (xmi) to 2% (binary).
>
> Here's the discussion:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-4685
>
> Best,
>
> Peter
>

> Am 07.01.2016 um 02:38 schrieb Marshall Schor:
>> Thanks for the information!
>>
>> It does look like there's a performance issue if not allowing duplicate adds, for
>> exactly the use case you mentioned: lots of FSs which compare "equal" according
>> to the
>> sorted index keys, but which are not the same FS.
>>
>> This can be fixed I think.
>>
>> There's also a user-centered workaround, for some cases, when it's possible to
>> re-define the type system somewhat.
>>
>> One kind of thing I've seen frequently, is that people define types having
>> nothing to do with Annotation (e.g. they don't use begin / end, etc.) as
>> subtypes of Annotation.
>>
>> If you are able to change the type system definitions so that these things no
>> longer are subtypes of Annotation, then the problem might go away.
>>
>> -Marshall
 Can