uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Miguel Alvarez" <miguelal...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Ruta: reloadScript and external engines
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 19:04:53 GMT
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

It isn't necessarily causing any problems, I just wanted to understand how
it was meant to work. But I can explain to you a bit better my situation,
and maybe you have a better suggestion.

We are currently setting the parameter reloadScript to true in our RUTA
engines so the dictionaries reload without us having to restart the service.

But we have some external engines, invoked from RUTA scripts, which create
connections to other servers, and until now we have been storing this
connections as class instance variables in our external engines so they can
be reused and the engine doesn't need to create a new connection for every
document processed. And the initialize method checks whether the engine
instance has already an open connection, so no matter how many times the
initialize method is invoked only one connection is established.

But if we invoke this external engine from a RUTA script that has the
reloadScript parameter set to true, a new instance of the engine is created
for every document processed, and therefore a new connection to the remote
server will be established for each document too, regardless of my check for
an existing connection in the initialize method (obviously because it is a
brand new instance every time).

I guess one question I have is: Can we force the reload of dictionaries
directly from the RUTA script or in any other way?

Thanks,
Miguel