uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CasIOUtils class - some meta-questions
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 20:54:20 GMT
On 10.08.2016, at 22:37, Richard Eckart de Castilho <rec@apache.org> wrote:

> On 05.08.2016, at 14:18, Richard Eckart de Castilho <rec@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, then I think we there is agreement that we keep COMPRESSED_FILTERED (form 6)
>> and COMPRESSED_FILTERED_TSI (form 6 + TS).
>
> Hm, I don't see a COMPRESSED_FILTERED_TSI in the SerialFormat.
>
>> But for the time being we only support lenient loading (filter on load) -
>> i.e. the TS in the serialized form corresponds to the original TS from the CAS.
>
> It looks like the following features are currently not supported by CasIOUtils:
>
> - storing TS along with form 6 in a single file: I see no code path where a TS is stored
in a COMPRESSED_FILTERED binary file and none where it is loaded from a COMPRESSED_FILTERED
binary file

> - lenient loading of COMPRESSED_FILTERED: I do not even see a path where a separately
specific TS input stream is used when reading a COMPRESSED_FILTERED file. The TS only seems
to be used when reading a SERIALIZED file.

> Am I missing something? If we still miss the two features listed above, then we kind
of lost them in translation. I am pretty sure they were there in the initial code that I provided.
Why did we loose them?

Looks like they were removed in #1755237:

[UIMA-4685] refactoring, moving some common stuff into more core UIMA, augmenting JavaDocs,
removing compressed form 6 with type system and definitions, correcting deserialization process
when installing type system (and index defs) - by using the core code paths for this.  Fixed
the test cases to account for some renaming and removal of compressed form 6 with type sys.
Made error message using standard UIMA msg things.

Can we undo the removal of COMPRESSED_FILTERED_TS from that commit please?
It is basically *the* core functionality from my perspective since it enables
lenient loading of binary CASes.

Best,

-- Richard