uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Standard" UIMA typesystem
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2016 14:23:09 GMT
If an AE uses it, you are not forced to use it as well. Other code
can still operate via the CAS interface. The JCas wrappers don't even
need to be visible to the rest of the code if you use PEARs or OSGi
or some alternative classloader management.

For my part, I consider JCas to be a great utility to build UIMA wrappers
that provides type safety and facilitates refactoring. If JCas would not
be there as a generic mechanism, the first think I'd do would be to
manually implement Java wrapper classes for specific types of FSes.

The UIMA framework comes in layers of APIs and if you don't like some
of these layers, then don't use them. An API that you may find horrible
may well be the exact thing that others link about the framework.

Btw. I think the title of this subthread should be changed. It doesn't seem
anymore to be about promoting interoperability through convergence on a
specific type system, but rather about promoting flexibility by removing
constraints (which IMHO will likely end up in even less interoperability).

Cheers,

-- Richard