uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: opinion on degree of backwards compatibility for Uima V3 experiment
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2016 15:56:27 GMT
whew! -M

On 9/2/2016 9:27 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Tested all formats, did not happen for a reasonable complex CAS.
>

> Am 02.09.2016 um 15:26 schrieb Marshall Schor:
>> Re: deserializing the same CAS twice shouldn't change the addresses;  if you
>> have a case where it's doing that, I'll investigate (need a small test case...).
>>
>> -Marshall
>>
>> On 9/2/2016 5:36 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>> Same here.
>>>

>>> It looks like that we are now also starting to use the address, and I am
>>> also thinking of using it more in Ruta (internal indexing).
>>>

>>> Btw, I did some simple experiments lately concerning the stability of
>>> the addresses when using CasIOUtils. Can it happens that the addresses
>>> change if you just deserialize the same CAs twice without serializing it
>>> in between?
>>>

>>> Best,
>>>

>>> Peter

unique identifiers for feature structures facilitates handling them in e.g. in editors. We
use that quite a bit in WebAnno.

to be a unique identifier. However, I could imagine cases where people might rely on the ID
to increment monotonically for new FSes.

SERIALIZED and SERIALIZED_TSI *do* preserve the ID, and WebAnno makes used of that. It allows
to keep references to FSes without having to keep the CAS in memory all the time.

IDs would be important. It would be nice if deserializing a V2 SERIALIZED or SERIALIZED_TSI
into V3 would restore the V2 IDs - I expect it to be an easy thing to do.

an

 So

 But