uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: "Standard" UIMA typesystem
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2016 13:10:19 GMT
Following on Peter's comment - is the desire here for alternatives supporting
"dynamic" typing?

Some computer languages analogies: Java (strong static typing), Groovy (some
combo of dynamic typing and strong typing), JavaScript (dynamic), TypeScript (a
variant of JavaScript that adds static typing + classes, but compiles to
JavaScript).

UIMA makes some attempt to allow flexibility.  Some examples: if you have a
complex type system, with e.g. Token defined to have 30 features, and you have
some old code that has Token defined with 3 features (with the same supertypes),
but those features are the same as 3 of the features in the more complex
version, then you could have a "simple" annotator written against the 3 feature
kind.

The reuse you're considering goes beyond these constraints, correct?

-Marshall