uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: UIMA shared external resources with config parameters
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:22:33 GMT
re: how to realize the scenarios illustrated in [1] could be implemented
using the External Configuration parameters?

Here's the high level thoughts:

1) Implementor designs several "objects" that require configuration.  They decide on the configuration
parameters, giving each of them unique names (perhaps using a kind of package-naming-scheme).

2) Key assumption:  These objects are to be UIMA Shared External Resources.  This means that
 2a) there is one instance shared among many things
 2b) there might be multiple instances if "parameterized" versions of the
     external resource are being used (e.g. dictionary, parameterized by language)

3) When a user puts a system together, it consists of a pipeline and a set of these external
resources, and an external configuration settings (usually a file, but could be a computed
Java Object, in general).

4) The framework runs; the external resources are created, some at initialization time (for
the pipeline component that is declaring it), some at getResource( parameter) time, for parameterized
resources (where, for instance you don't know the language until you get a CAS with a document
and determine it).

5) When the resource code starts running, it sees that it needs to read its configuration
parameters, so it gets the external settings object and reads whatever parameters it wants
to, using its unique key names.

Missing from this scenario is one of the things UIMA (but not uimaFIT) can offer as a "feature"
- the externalization into some metadata information about configuration parameters.  Note
that this could be added - the external resource could make use of the resourcMetaData xml
element to specify configuration parameter definitions.  The UIMA framework currently ignores
these, but other tooling could make use of this, if it seems desirable.

Hoping that I've not overlooked some basic flaw,

-Marshall