uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Myles, Stuart" <SMy...@ap.org>
Subject UIMA Ruta and EXTRA - Developers Needed For IPTC's EXTRA Rules-based Classification Engine
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 13:20:44 GMT
Hello,

Greetings from The Associated Press. We're working within the IPTC - along with a number of
other news organizations - on a project that is relevant to the UIMA Ruta project and wanted
to reach out to see if you might be interested.

The IPTC project is "EXTRA" (shorthand for EXTraction Rules Apparatus), an open-source source
rules based classification engine for news content. The IPTC was awarded a grant of 50,000
Euros from Google's Digital News Initiative Innovation Fund to build and freely distribute
the initial version of EXTRA. As part of the IPTC, we plan to work with news providers to
supply sets of news documents, and with linguists to write rules to classify the documents.
We've been working on defining the technical requirements and now we’re looking for software
developers to design, develop, document and test EXTRA.

Given the similarity of UIMA Ruta to our requirements, we thought we'd reach out to you to
see if you might be interested in this project or if you know anyone who might be. Below is
the formal announcement of our search for developers to work with us on EXTRA.

Regards,

Stuart Myles
--
Director of Information Management at the Associated Press
Chairman of the Board of the IPTC

https://iptc.org/news/developers-needed-for-extra/
Developers Needed For IPTC's EXTRA Rules-based Classification Engine

IPTC https://iptc.org/<https://iptc.org/%20/t%20_blank> is looking for software developers
to design, develop, document and test EXTRA https://iptc.github.io/extra/<https://iptc.github.io/extra/%20/t%20_blank>,
an open source rules-based classification engine for news. First preference will be given
to applications received by 21st October 2016, and review will continue until the positions
are filled. Apply here.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdROT-cefP57cmCRbW90cnvuYKNTJ4XKQ2cQgA8ZffLYoLwPQ/viewform%20/t%20_blank>

"Classification" means assigning one or more categories to the text of a news document. Rules
based classifiers use a set of Boolean rules, rather than machine-learning or statistical
techniques, to determine which categories to apply.

EXTRA is the EXTraction Rules Apparatus, a multilingual open-source platform for rules-based
classification of news content. IPTC was awarded a grant of €50,000 from the first round
of Google’s Digital News Initiative Innovation Fund https://www.digitalnewsinitiative.com/<https://www.digitalnewsinitiative.com/%20/t%20_blank>
to build and freely distribute the initial version of EXTRA. DNI granted IPTC €50,000 for
the entire project.

We are working with news providers to supply sets of news documents and with linguists to
write rules to classify the documents. IPTC is looking for qualified developers to create
the rules engine to accurately and efficiently categorize the documents using the rules. mandatory
and preferred requirements.

Please consult<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdROT-cefP57cmCRbW90cnvuYKNTJ4XKQ2cQgA8ZffLYoLwPQ/viewform%20/t%20_blank>
this page for more information and to let us know if you’re interested in being considered.