uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Java checker frameworks and Java 8
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 15:34:52 GMT
JSR 308 (added to Java 8) adds some new annotation capability for types; type
checking frameworks can make use of this to do more type checking of code.

I've only come across one or two such frameworks; one is a big project here
(partially under the GPL) http://types.cs.washington.edu/checker-framework; the
other is eclipse which seems to support just 3 annotations (
http://help.eclipse.org/neon/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.jdt.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Ftask-using_null_annotations.htm&cp=1_3_9_0

The checker framework looks pretty comprehensive, but if you include the
annotations in distributed JAR files, the license is GPL.  The build process can
be configured to **not** include the GPL things in the JARs.  Operating this way
would limit its use to internal development; users could not use our annotations
to check their use of UIMA methods.

Possible partial exception: There's some fancy thing that Eclipse has for this
situation, allowing an external specification for annotations, separate from the
library jars, to be used (
http://help.eclipse.org/neon/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.jdt.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Ftask-using_external_null_annotations.htm&cp=1_3_9_2
)

Anyone have experience with these enhanced checking frameworks?  Are they worth
the trouble (vs. say using just findbugs)?

-Marshall