uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: UIMA shared external resources with config parameters
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:26:19 GMT
Ok, but I mean actually in code. How would it look like?

- how to specify one "object B" as a parameter to another "object A" and finally "object A"
to a component?
- how to set non-String parameters?
- while setting parameters, how to disambiguate between multiple instances of a such a shared
resource?

Cheers,

-- Richard

> On 19.10.2016, at 19:22, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
>
> re: how to realize the scenarios illustrated in [1] could be implemented
> using the External Configuration parameters?
>
> Here's the high level thoughts:
>
> 1) Implementor designs several "objects" that require configuration.  They decide on
the configuration parameters, giving each of them unique names (perhaps using a kind of package-naming-scheme).

> 2) Key assumption:  These objects are to be UIMA Shared External Resources.  This means
that
> 2a) there is one instance shared among many things
> 2b) there might be multiple instances if "parameterized" versions of the
>     external resource are being used (e.g. dictionary, parameterized by language)
>
> 3) When a user puts a system together, it consists of a pipeline and a set of these external
resources, and an external configuration settings (usually a file, but could be a computed
Java Object, in general).

> 4) The framework runs; the external resources are created, some at initialization time
(for the pipeline component that is declaring it), some at getResource( parameter) time, for
parameterized resources (where, for instance you don't know the language until you get a CAS
with a document and determine it).

> 5) When the resource code starts running, it sees that it needs to read its configuration
parameters, so it gets the external settings object and reads whatever parameters it wants
to, using its unique key names.

> Missing from this scenario is one of the things UIMA (but not uimaFIT) can offer as a
"feature" - the externalization into some metadata information about configuration parameters.
 Note that this could be added - the external resource could make use of the resourcMetaData
xml element to specify configuration parameter definitions.  The UIMA framework currently
ignores these, but other tooling could make use of this, if it seems desirable.