uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question on uimaFIT following and preceding
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:23:12 GMT

> On 08.02.2017, at 23:00, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe this is a tempest in a teapot...
>
> Following applied to non-annotation indexes seems to just be syntactic sugar for
> moveto(startSpot), followed by iterate forward.
> Same for reverse.

The bug about skipping annotations based on their end-offset in the reverse case
shows that this is not the same as moveto(spot).iterateReverse().

> So, maybe too simple to have special code for.

I think following/preceding is shorter and more salient - and actually different (see above)
;)

> Likewise, following / preceding done by select could be done by something like
> using select builders construct a coveredBy iterator, with the argument being a
> "dummy" annotation made to have the right begin/end spot.

At least in v2, creating a dummy annotation wasn't a good idea because those
dummies would be spamming the heap. In v3, I assume they would also have to be
inserted to/removed from the indexes all the time? Sounds like a hack.

Cheers,

-- Richard