uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question on uimaFIT following and preceding
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2017 08:22:32 GMT

> On 06.02.2017, at 22:31, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The v3 "select" framework has following and preceding methods, modeled on uimaFIT.
>
> I think "following" only depends on the "getEnd()" value of the annotation, and
> "preceding" only depends on the "getBegin()" value of the annotation, is this
> correct?

I am pretty sure that this is the intention, yes.

> Also, when doing a preceding, are annotations whose "getEnd()" are too large,
> skipped while iterating backwards?

The current implementation of selectPreceding() does not check skip such annotations.
Looking where selectPreceding originally came from, I believe that this may be bug.
Also, the behavior of selectPreceding() is inconsistent with selectBetween() and selectFollowing()
which work as expected.

Since we have this behavior since v1.1.0, it is hard to tell if anybody came to rely on it.

So I would consider this a bug to be fixed in selectPreceding...

WDYT?

Cheers,

-- Richard