uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Implications of the UimaContextHolder
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 11:11:44 GMT
Hi all,

triggered by changes in UIMA-5058, I have looked again at how the UimaContextHolder works
and is being used right now.

In particular, I think the following case is not uncommon but now potentially problematic:

----
// 1) instantiate reader
CollectionReader reader = UIMAFramework.produceCollectionReader(readerDesc, resMgr, null);

// 2) instantiate analysis engine
AnalysisEngine aae = UIMAFramework.produceAnalysisEngine(aaeDesc, resMgr, null);

// 3) create a CAS
CAS cas = CasCreationUtils.createCas(asList(reader.getMetaData(), aae.getMetaData()),
            null, resMgr);

// 4) inform the reader about the type system
reader.typeSystemInit(cas.getTypeSystem());

// 5) iterate over the reader using the given CAS and process it using the AE
---

The potential problem in this setup is that 1) and 2) both call UimaContextHolder.setContext().

Do you see that as a problem?

Best,

-- Richard