uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: question on uimaFIT following and preceding
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2017 22:00:47 GMT
Maybe this is a tempest in a teapot...

Following applied to non-annotation indexes seems to just be syntactic sugar for
moveto(startSpot), followed by iterate forward.
Same for reverse.

So, maybe too simple to have special code for.

Likewise, following / preceding done by select could be done by something like
using select builders construct a coveredBy iterator, with the argument being a
"dummy" annotation made to have the right begin/end spot.

So, on further reflection, I'm thinking of leaving this as is, and saying that
the following and preceding are just applied to AnnotationIndexes.

-Marshall
On 2/8/2017 4:45 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Here's a (maybe) alternative use case which may want a different solution.
>
> The implementation of following and preceding was thought of in the context of
> an AnnotationIndex.
> But it *could* be designed to apply to any sorted index.
>
> In another case, you might be iterating over a sorted index on Annotations, but
> which didn't use begin and end keys, but something else.
>
> In these alternative cases, there may be no begin and end, but just some other
> key or keys, used to determine a sort order.
>
> The most general implementation for following and preceding would just do a
> positioning, using the sort order, and then iterate from that point.
>
> I suppose that would be "cleaner" and more general.
>

> WDYT?
>

> -Marshall (stirring up trouble as usual)
>
> On 2/7/2017 9:48 AM, Marshall Schor wrote:
>> I tend to agree with you :-)
>>
>> I've implemented the equivalent in the UIMA v3 Select framework, where it does
>> "skip".  That could be made configurable, but I think I would rather wait to see
>> if someone needs this before adding that configuration ability to the API.
>>
>> -Marshall

>>> I am pretty sure that this is the intention, yes.

>>> The current implementation of selectPreceding() does not check skip such annotations.
>>> Looking where selectPreceding originally came from, I believe that this may be
bug.
>>> Also, the behavior of selectPreceding() is inconsistent with selectBetween()
and selectFollowing()