uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving from alpha to general-availability
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2017 15:55:08 GMT
We probably should be careful with the naming of the versions (cf. the Eclipse update site
experience). Specifically:

> One gotcha for release version numbers is the ordering of the qualifiers. Take the version
release numbers “1.2.3-alpha-2” and “1.2.3-alpha-10,” where the “alpha-2” build
corresponds to the 2nd alpha build, and the “alpha-10” build corresponds to the 10th alpha
build. Even though “alpha-10” should be considered more recent than “alpha-2,” Maven
is going to sort “alpha-10” before “alpha-2” due to a known issue in the way Maven
handles version numbers.

> Maven is supposed to treat the number after the qualifier as a build number. In other
words, the qualifier should be "alpha", and the build number should be 2. Even though Maven
has been designed to separate the build number from the qualifier, this parsing is currently
broken. As a result, "alpha-2" and "alpha-10" are compared using a String comparison, and
"alpha-10" comes before "alpha-2" alphabetically. To get around this limitation, you will
need to left-pad your qualified build numbers. If you use "alpha-02" and "alpha-10" this problem
will go away, and it will continue to work once Maven properly parses the version build number.

Source: http://books.sonatype.com/mvnref-book/reference/pom-relationships-sect-pom-syntax.html

-- Richard