uima-dev mailing list archives

From Joern Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: any objections to moving uima v3
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:31:44 GMT
At OpenNLP we switched from svn to git, I think this really a good thing to
do for an Open Source project, because this allows everyone (even without
the necessary rights) to make commits on our code base. If we would like to
have the commits in the master branch they can be merged in via a pull
request. A pull request - even from committers - are very useful to get the
code reviewed before it is committed (RTC instead of CTR).

If we now develop on multiple branches for a while it might be worthwhile
to switch to a newer tool which supports this use case properly. With git
it will be easier to apply the same kind of change against two branches
(e.g. git cherry-pick).

There are also other nice tools you can have these days which integrate
with Github:
- Travis CI to test every PR before it gets merged (it marks every commit
with CI result)
- Coveralls.io to visualize code coverage (e.g.
https://coveralls.io/github/apache/beam?branch=master)

+1 to do it like you suggest, with svn that is a good solution.

Jörn