uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: uima v3 logging
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2017 02:57:15 GMT
On 2/11/2017 6:52 PM, Joern Kottmann wrote:
> Hmm, isn't get getUimaLogger the same as getContext().getLogger() before?
Yes.
> In my opinion our goal should be to remove that at some point. UIMA is
> easier to use for new users when there is not so much confusion with old
> legacy things around for backward compatibility.
>
> For your first point about getLogger(), wouldn't this be solved by the MDC?
> The annotator name is always present in the context.
I think there are two ways the annotator name is used in logging.  One is to
provide information (this is what the MDC does, I believe), and the other is to
provide filtering - in that each "named" logger can have a
configured-at-deploy-time-level-spec.  I don't think there is a simple direct
way to say I want to run a particular annotator at "trace" level, for example,
without that annotator name being the name of a logger that you get with
getUimaLogger().

But, maybe I don't fully understand this - logging details are fairly new to me...

If this is true, then you still need to have named loggers in order to filter.

> The user will have a hard time making use of that in more serious
> applications. It would be awkward to pass the logger reference to other
> classes and dependencies might just log directly to our logger backend.
I agree.  There's a kind of work around for the use case where an Annotator
(which would have a named logger) calls other code, perhaps deeply nested, and
somewhere deep down, that code wants to log something.  If it wants to log using
the Uima Logger, it could by using the call
UimaContextHolder.getContext().getLogger()

SLF4j's way of getting loggers is:
Logger.getLogger(String name) or
Logger.getLogger(Class clazz)

They don't have a 0-argument constructor.

-Marshall